Société : RICHARD CHILDRESS RACING
Industrie : Automobile - Materiels de transport
Activité : Ecurie Course Automobile
- Fielding a winning car requires continual development effort. After a car is built, the team’s machine shop constantly modifies and improves individual components. Team engineers and track personnel devise performance-improving upgrades, or find
weaknesses that can be remedied with a new part geometry, and the shop machines the parts for testing or racing. “A part that makes you a half a second faster each lap can be the difference between winning the race or finishing twentieth,” Manufacturing Manager, Rocky Helms said.
OUR DAILY CHALLENGES
- Time: “There are 40 race teams every week that all are trying to win. So every week you have to outperform thirty-nine teams, and they’re getting faster so you have to get faster,” said Helms.
- When operators edited defective G-code at the machine it wasn’t possible to simulate and test the result because the shop’s simulation program didn’t analyze G-code. To
avoid further problems, the machine operator had to double and triple check any edits to make sure they produced no further issues.
DECISION-MAKING FACTORS FOR NCSIMUL
- The comprehensive analysis NCSIMUL provides becomes more valuable as part modifications grow more sophisticated. Helms said those modifications have evolved from purely structural changes to include aerodynamic factors.
- NCSIMUL enables comparison of the simulated part with the original CAD part file. “When you get into surfacing it’s easy to make a small programming mistake and not notice it until you’re holding the part in your hand,” Helms said, “The NCSIMUL representation can be compared to your model to make sure you got everything right.”
BEFORE & AFTER WITH NCSIMUL
- Checking and re-checking the edited G-code consumed excessive time and extended the interval between initially posting the code and getting the first good part off the machine. “You would probably spend at least one to two hours after you had posted doing editing and then making sure you had everything corrected the best you could,” Helms said.
- The full machine simulations NCSIMUL provides can enable programmers to resolve issues that arise from the application of special tooling. Complex part features like cylinder head ports and intake manifold passages require extended tool lengths that can create tooling travel and interference issues at the machine. If the simulation indicates that a tool cannot physically reach the intended cutting zone, the programmer can make adjustments such as moving the part on the fixture or changing to a different tool length before the program goes to the shop floor.
FOR US INTELLIGENT CNC MACHINING MEANS…
- The intensifying competitiveness has prompted RCR manufacturing operations to grow from two machines and two operators to 18 machines and a staff of 22 that works two shifts. Amid that fast-moving environment, NCSIMUL simulation software is helping RCR meet competitive challenges and continue its history of success.
«NCSIMUL MACHINE also allows me to create different planes within the part model and the simulated part model and compare the intersections of the deep cavities. This is very useful in making sure my deep cavities intersect where they are supposed to.»
Mr. Stan Wolf | CNC programmer